Author Topic: Is Jesus God?  (Read 3960 times)

Peter

• Administrator
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Is Jesus God?
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:37:56 AM »
Jesus coming as God in Old Testament prophecy from the prophet Isaiah in roughly 745-695 BC. Roughly 700 years before Christ was revealed to us.

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Immanuel
Old Testament Hebrew Definition:
0410 'el {ale}
shortened from 0352; TWOT - 93a; n m
AV - God 213, god 16, power 4, mighty 5, goodly 1, great 1, idols 1,
Immanuel + 06005 2, might 1, strong 1; 245
1) god, god-like one, mighty one
1a) mighty men, men of rank, mighty heroes
1b) angels
1c) god, false god, (demons, imaginations)
1d) God, the one true God, Jehovah
2) mighty things in nature
3) strength, power

Immanuel is translated as upper-case "God" 213 times in the Old Testament.

Fulfilled in Jesus Christ

Mat 1:22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Sorry if I missed these elsewhere, but if so, they still bear repeating.

1Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

was manifest
New Testament Greek Definition:
5319 phaneroo {fan-er-o'-o}
from 5318; TDNT - 9:3,1244; v
AV - make manifest 19, appear 12, manifest 9, show 3, be manifest 2,
show (one's) self 2, manifestly declare 1, manifest forth 1; 49
1) to make manifest or visible or known what has been hidden or unknown,
to manifest, whether by words, or deeds, or in any other way
1a) make actual and visible, realized
1b) to make known by teaching
1c) to become manifest, be made known
1d) of a person
1d1) expose to view, make manifest, to show one's self, appear
1e) to become known, to be plainly recognised, thoroughly understood
1e1) who and what one is
For Synonyms see entry 5812

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. 59 Then took they up stones to cast at him:

God's name is "I AM" so we can see Jesus declaration of divinity and it so enraging the Pharisees that they wanted to stone Him. Eventually crucified Him for it.

Exd 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, [when] I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What [is] his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Particularly since He declares His coexistence with God from before Abraham.

John 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Here's another declaration of divinity:

John 10:30 I and [my] Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

Again the declaration of divinity and again those Pharisees before Him sought to stone Him. Jesus is the Son of God. That's why they crucified Him:

John 19:7 The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.

Jesus is our path to, or the way we can find, God.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

In the larger context:

1Jo 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

And again:

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

In case you missed the first verse, again:

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Here is another declaration of divinity:

John 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou [then], Shew us the Father?

And another:

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth. 25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. 26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am [he]. 27 And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?

That bracketed translator word "[he]" I don't believe is a help at all, in this passage. This passage is explored in more detail with the Greek/English Textus Receptus interlinear here:
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=108.0

Additional scriptural evidence of Jesus' coexistence with God the Father:

2Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called [us] with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Hebrews 9:26  For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Revelation 13:8  And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=54.0

1 Peter 1:19  But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:  20  Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Genesis 1:26  And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Gen 3:22  And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

vaheedkhan

• View Profile
Re: Is Jesus God?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. 59 Then took they up stones to cast at him:they wouldnt understand them...fools are those who god hates....not me, how patience they had the prophets no one would understand them....just like juses turn to his mother and said woman what should i do with thee, when thee dont understand not but lost, when they were suppe.....juses peace be up on him walked alone because no one would understand him.

:) :) :). Abraham peace be up on him and juses peace be up on him. God gives them the highest heavens... So as abraham believed in oneness as i am juses said, believing in oness god. The god of abraham. The one on the heaven. The mind wont understand this is confusion its not like you drink a water and it goes in, simple its not easy to swallow....in thee mind.

That time mentality you should understand how they were the people...Nor abraham was son of god. Nor he ever declare, now where is the old scriptures of abraham?. When their is no solid evidence, then there is no solid answer.

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 07:17:18 AM »
John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. 59 Then took they up stones to cast at him:they wouldnt understand them...fools are those who god hates....not me, how patience they had the prophets no one would understand them..

But you deny the blood that would save you. It wasn't Jews that killed Jesus. And it wasn't Roman soldiers that killed Jesus. It was the sinful nature of mankind that killed Jesus. It is you and I that killed Jesus, my friend.

..just like juses turn to his mother and said woman what should i do with thee, when thee dont understand not but lost, when they were suppe.....juses peace be up on him walked alone because no one would understand him.

:) :) :). Abraham peace be up on him and juses peace be up on him. God gives them the highest heavens... So as abraham believed in oneness as i am juses said, believing in oness god.

Christians of course believe in the oneness of God too. A 6th century illiterate couldn't understand that because he couldn't even read.
Mark 12:29 ... The Lord our God is one Lord: ... 32 ... for there is one God; and there is none other but he: 

1Jo 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

The god of abraham. The one on the heaven. The mind wont understand this is confusion its not like you drink a water and it goes in, simple its not easy to swallow....in thee mind.

Exactly. That's why it was lost on Mohammed that God could manifest Himself through Jesus Christ.
Even though he believed that Mary conceived Jesus by the will of God as no other person in human history.
Even though some Muslims believe that a "martyr" provides propitiation for the sins of 70 of their nearest and dearest relatives, they can't, then, imagine that a wonderful God could send a part of Himself to serve the same function, but for ALL of mankind.

That time mentality you should understand how they were the people...Nor abraham was son of god. Nor he ever declare, now where is the old scriptures of abraham?. When their is no solid evidence, then there is no solid answer.

The old scriptures are VERY MUCH INTACT. Please read this regarding Jewish scribal methods:

http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=97.0

resistingrexmundi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:57:52 AM »
In Matthew 14:22-33 and Mark 6-45-52 we read of Jesus walking on the water. Unfortunately most english translations disguise the intended words of Jesus in one verseMat 14:27   But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.  The literal translation from the greek reads. "Fear not, I am." I am what? many wonder. I am is God's way of identifying Himself. Jesus did so again to His enemies in Jhn 8:58   Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.  Next the Pharisees try to kill Him. Why? He just admitted He was God. Something they considered blasphemy. Had Jesus been lying, which He wasn't, they would have been right.
Doth that man love his Lord who would be willing to see Jesus wearing a crown of thorns, while for himself he craves a chaplet of laurel? Shall Jesus ascend to his throne by the cross, and do we expect to be carried there on the shoulders of applauding crowds? Charles H. Spurgeon

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 09:02:51 AM »
In Matthew 14:22-33 and Mark 6-45-52 we read of Jesus walking on the water. Unfortunately most english translations disguise the intended words of Jesus in one verseMat 14:27   But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.  The literal translation from the greek reads. "Fear not, I am." I am what? many wonder. I am is God's way of identifying Himself. Jesus did so again to His enemies in Jhn 8:58   Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.  Next the Pharisees try to kill Him. Why? He just admitted He was God. Something they considered blasphemy. Had Jesus been lying, which He wasn't, they would have been right.

Another such verse that is revealed through the Greek / English interlinear:
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=108.0

I was recently blessed by the following. There is likely more evidence like this since even the KJV seems to have missed this one:

Jhn 4:23  But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth. 25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. 26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am [he]. 27 And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?

(Greek/English Interlinear (tr) NT) John 4:26  legei  <3004> (5719) {SAYS}  auth  <846>  o  <3588> {TO HER}  ihsouV  <2424> {JESUS,}  egw  <1473> {I}  eimi  <1510> (5748) {AM [HE],}  o  <3588> {WHO}  lalwn  <2980> (5723) {AM SPEAKING}  soi  <4671> {TO THEE.}
http://www.olivetree.com/cgi-bin/EnglishBible.htm

Without the bracketed helper word "[HE]", that doesn't occur in the Greek text:

"SAYS TO HER JESUS, I AM WHO AM SPEAKING TO THEE."

Would seem clear from the context of John chapter 4 that it is meant:

Exodus 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:46:09 AM »
I missed a couple of very important verses in the above.
Jesus as God in Old Testament prophecy

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Immanuel
Old Testament Hebrew Definition:
0410 'el {ale}
shortened from 0352; TWOT - 93a; n m
AV - God 213, god 16, power 4, mighty 5, goodly 1, great 1, idols 1,
Immanuel + 06005 2, might 1, strong 1; 245
1) god, god-like one, mighty one
1a) mighty men, men of rank, mighty heroes
1b) angels
1c) god, false god, (demons, imaginations)
1d) God, the one true God, Jehovah
2) mighty things in nature
3) strength, power

"Immanuel" is translated as upper-case "God" 213 times in the Old Testament.

Fulfilled in Jesus Christ

Mat 1:22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Sorry if I missed these elsewhere, but if so, they still bear repeating.

[I decided to edit it into the top of the OP so it wouldn't be missed]