Author Topic: Luke 19:27 "...bring hither, and slay [them] before me."  (Read 4093 times)

Peter

• Administrator
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Luke 19:27 "...bring hither, and slay [them] before me."
« on: January 18, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »
This thread is locked. If you would like to comment on another copy of it please click this link: http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=123.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKyQkiaqNPs
Luke 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay [them] before me.

Does this verse suggest that Jesus was engaged in, or taught, violence against others?

While Jesus is speaking, the words in the quoted verse above aren't attributable to Jesus. Jesus is delivering a parable and the words in the verse above are what Jesus is quoting the "nobleman" in His story as saying. It's obvious in the context below.

It is important to understand why Jesus spoke in parables:

Mar 4:9 And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. 10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable. 11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all [these] things are done in parables: 12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them.

Several Muslims I have encountered search the New Testament for something that Jesus preached, or did, that was more violent than overturning the tables of the moneychangers. The reason being that they wish that Jesus was guilty of the things that their imperialistic 7th century "prophet" Mohammed was. But they are taught through the Quran that Jesus was absolutely sinless, so such a search is really quite misguided for a Muslim to undertake. Mohammed was, and taught, the EXACT OPPOSITE of Yeshua (means "YHWH saves"). When I see such an exercise as this Luke 19:27 being removed from context and falsely presented, being repeated so frequently, I usually find that it has Ahmed Deedat's fingerprints all over it.
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=119.0

There is no excuse for being so lazy as to take someone's word for what the bible says, since access to electronic bibles is so easy. Just type a few words of a verse, or the book and verse number in the following link and you can read any verse in context: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
Default is the King James Version. The most widely used and respected English version, based on the Textus Receptus or majority Greek text - the "received text".

These folks put their effort into MISunderstanding God's Word and thus become straight-up accusers of Jesus Christ. Those are the last shoes that I would want to be caught dead in, when standing in judgment before Jesus Christ.
John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

But we should expect it:
2Ti 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

So much effort is put into accusing Jesus that many like Ahmed Deedat in full knowledge FALSELY accuse Jesus then their minions follow like sheep. Let's look at the passage with a little more context:

Luk 19:11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.
Luk 19:12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
Luk 19:13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.
Luk 19:14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this [man] to reign over us.
Luk 19:15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.
Luk 19:16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.
Luk 19:17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.
Luk 19:18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.
Luk 19:19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.
Luk 19:20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, [here is] thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin:
Luk 19:21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.
Luk 19:22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, [thou] wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow:
Luk 19:23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?
Luk 19:24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give [it] to him that hath ten pounds.
Luk 19:25 (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.)
Luk 19:26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.
Luk 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay [them] before me.
Luk 19:28 And when he had thus spoken, he went before, ascending up to Jerusalem.

If you want to study with the Greek Textus Receptus Interlinear, a quick drop down menu can be found at this link: http://www.olivetree.com/cgi-bin/EnglishBible.htm
(however I caution against using the New King James which that site uses as it's default bible)

This parable is a lesson in what we are expected to do with the gifts that God gives us. Simply summarized, we can hide or ignore them and suffer the consequences, or use them and multiply them and be rewarded.

Since there are no accounts of Jesus going to battle in the New Testament, except in the spiritual sense, or Jesus using a sword against anyone, or recommending using a sword against anyone indeed we are to love our enemies, so when we see reference to a sword it is usually a reference to the one that I carry and use throughout this forum and related websites:

Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Hbr 4:12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

In fact, even in the Old Testament, the prophets laid down swords, or suggestion of the use of the sword in God's service, 1500 years before Mohammed was born.

Jesus is going to return to earth. The following verse is a part of the description of the final harvest when EVERYONE will be sorted out:
Rev 14:19 And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast [it] into the great winepress of the wrath of God.

The message of the parable is also that Jesus will be as that nobleman in final judgment, to those that do not submit to His will, and allow Him to reign over them.

A parable is a story that Jesus used to illustrate a point. The passage above begins at the parable's beginning, and ends when Jesus finishes telling the story, and then heads up to Jerusalem.

God's Word cannot be understood by someone putting their effort into MISunderstanding. Here's why:
1Cr 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.

So we have to first surrender ourselves, and then put our effort into understanding, and ask God for guidance through the Holy Spirit. Jesus will help even the unregenerate with understanding, if they are willing to put their trust in Him.
This is particularly important regarding this parable passage.

Until we repent and are forgiven we can't expect to understand parables. But once we live a life with Christ Jesus, God's Holy Word opens up to us, and it is a wonderful blessing to see it like a giant woven tapestry. A time line that runs from the very beginnings of mankind, until we were given a new covenant through Jesus Christ's shed blood, through which all mankind may be saved.
Act 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and [that] they will hear it.

Indeed, the very term Jew would seem redefined, at least in the spiritual sense:
Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision [is that] of the heart, in the spirit, [and] not in the letter; whose praise [is] not of men, but of God.

So as saved Christians it would seem that we may be more Jew, then even a genealogical Jew, that is an atheist or agnostic. While some regenerate Jews may have been prevented from recognizing Jesus as their Messiah:
http://www.israelinbibleprophecy.com/spirit_of_slumber.htm

It all boils down to faith, and having such a love of the truth that we ferret out exactly where it lies. I was taught Christian futurist doctrine by a televangelist who has been on TV for over 50 years. I pounded it into myself with tapes and books for 12 or so years. At the time I was taught it I didn't even know any other view of Revelation existed in the church! Eventually, once I began to write about the doctrine, the Lord led me to overcome that pop-19th century eschatology, and it was truly a blessing. Today my bible study becomes ever clearer.

Here is a terrifying passage for those that don't share a love of the truth:

2 Thessalonians 2:8-12  And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9 [Even him], whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUc_9pVUiI4

This thread is locked. If you would like to comment on an identical copy of it please click this link: http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=123.0