Author Topic: Mat 6:7  (Read 3299 times)

resistingrexmundi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Mat 6:7
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:12 AM »
Mat 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

This verse has been especially useful in showcasing the uselessness of muslim prayers given their repititious nature. Even more so when one considers memorization of the koran is prized even above fully understanding it's core doctrinal assertions in many muslim communities. But I wanted to share something that I have recently had shown to me.

If you were to look up the word for "vain repetitions" in the original greek you will see this definition given.

1) to stammer

2) to repeat the same things over and over, to use many idle words, to babble, prate. Some suppose the word derived from Battus, a king of Cyrene, who is said to have stuttered; others from Battus, an author of tedious and wordy poems.

This verse may be especially significant for those who use "tongues" or "prayer language" to pray to God.  It was common in Jesus' day for pagans to become enamored in an ecstatic trance and begin to utter in tongues to their gods. Just consider the implications.

God bless
Doth that man love his Lord who would be willing to see Jesus wearing a crown of thorns, while for himself he craves a chaplet of laurel? Shall Jesus ascend to his throne by the cross, and do we expect to be carried there on the shoulders of applauding crowds? Charles H. Spurgeon