Author Topic: Dating of the Quran and Hadith  (Read 2754 times)

Peter

• Administrator
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Dating of the Quran and Hadith
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »
From the bibliography of "Prophet of Doom"
http://www.prophetofdoom.net/chapter.aspx?g=401&i=41044

Bibliography    

The documented references in Prophet of Doom were derived from English translations of ancient Islamic manuscripts. While hundreds of scholars and researchers have written about Muhammad, his god Allah, and his religion Islam, only five sources can be considered prime, authentic, and to the extent possible, unbiased. All other writings present a cleric's or scholar's opinion, one drawn directly or indirectly from the original sources. So rather than study someone's interpretation of Muhammad, Allah, and Islam, read what Islam’s lone prophet had to say about himself, his god, and his religion. If Muhammad got Islam wrong, no one has it right. And without Muhammad, there would be no Qur'an and no Islam. Allah would be completely unknown.

The Sirat Rasul Allah was written by Ibn Ishaq in 750 A.D. It was edited and abridged by Ibn Hisham in 830 and translated by Alfred Guillaume under the title, The Life of Muhammad in 1955 by Oxford Press. Referred to as the Sira, or Biography, Ishaq's Hadith Collection consists of oral reports from Muhammad and his companions. It provides the only written account of Muhammad’s life and the formation of Islam composed within two centuries of the prophet's death. There is no earlier or more accurate source.

The History of al-Tabari, called the Ta'rikh, was written by Abu Muhammad bin al-Tabari between 870 and 920 A.D. His monumental work was translated and published in 1987 through 1997 by the State University of New York Press. I quote from volumes I, II, VI, VII, VIII, and IX. Tabari's History consists entirely of Islamic Hadith. It is arranged chronologically. Tabari is Islam’s oldest uncensored source.

Al-Bukhari's Hadith, titled: Sahih Al-Bukhari - The True Traditions was collected by Imam Bukhari in 850 A.D. I have used it's original nomenclature because the only printed English translation (Publisher-Maktaba Dar-us-Salam, Translator-Muhammad Khan) was abridged and erroneously numbered. Muslim was a student of Bukhari. His Hadith Collection was translated into English and is available online. Most Muslims consider their Hadith to be inspired scripture. They are arranged by topic.

I have blended five Qur'an translations together to convey its message as clearly as possible: Ahmed Ali, Pikthal, Noble by Muhsin Khan, Yusuf Ali, and Shakir. The oldest Qur'an fragments date to 725 A.D. - a century after they were recited. The Qur'an lacks organization and context so it must be read in conjunction with the chronological Hadith Collections of Ishaq and Tabari.

Peter

• Administrator
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Re: Dating of the Quran and Hadith
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:44:44 AM »
http://www.harvardhouse.com/Gabriel-to-Muhammad_Einstein_Method.htm

"About 200 years after Muhammad died (840 CE), Muslim scholars wrote down some of the oral traditions. It is believed that there were about 500,000 Hadith by the end of 200 years. At that time, Muslim scholars discarded the vast majority of these Hadith sayings as coming from the imaginations of Muslims. The remaining Hadith (less than 15,000) were recorded. The Hadiths recorded by Muslim scholars about 840 CE were thought to be accurate about what Muhammad the prophet said and how he lived."