Author Topic: "concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already"  (Read 2215 times)

Peter

• Administrator
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
2Ti 2:17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

2 Timothy was penned in about 64 to 67 AD.
Does it make sense to you that that God would inspire a verse to be included in scripture, only to have it become the exact opposite of what Christians were expected to believe, just a few years later?
Does it ever strike you that understanding the contrary constitutes making a really big bet?
Particularly when you believe just as Hymenaeus and Philetus taught, and outside of nearly 2,000 years of universal Christian core doctrine. Let alone that James suggests teachers will be held more accountable.

While I'm an amillennial historicist rather than pre-millennial futurist, I thought this paragraph from a futurist did a good job of highlighting the risk:

"The Apostle Paul warns in II Timothy 2:17-18 of two false teachers in the church at Ephesus. These two heretics, Hymenaeus and Philetus, were preterists. They taught that the great eschatological event of the resurrection of the dead was past already. In doing this they overthrew the faith of some in the church (v. 18). Paul warns Timothy that heresy, and this preterist heresy in particular, would eat "as doth a canker" (v. 17). The word "canker" means gangrene. The warning is clear. Heresy spreads. It spreads like gangrene, the death of body tissues resulting in black, putrefying, foul-smelling flesh. Gangrene untreated spreads along the affected limb and leads to the death of the body. Usually the only remedy is amputation of the diseased area."

As full preterists stand outside of nearly 2,000 years of universal Christian core doctrine, do the following verses ever concern you?

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Whether they apply or not, do you believe those verses would more likely apply to the unanimity of the body of Christ throughout the the last nearly 2,000 years, or the few individuals in this forum section?

It isn't like futurism is the only alternative.
http://www.christianeschatology.com

The unworkability and inconsistency of partial-preterism results in their heads being handed to them by full-preterists. As partial-preterist does your fellow fruit, in the tree that rejects that the return of Jews to Israel is of the Lord, ever concern you?
http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=2795.0

PeteWaldo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1044&t=KJV

Strong's: KJV Translation Count — Total: 1x
The KJV translates Strongs G1044 in the following manner: canker (1x).

a gangrene, a disease by which any part of the body suffering from inflammation becomes so corrupted that, unless a remedy be seasonably applied, the evil continually spreads, attacks other parts, and at last eats away the bones

Now let's look at the verse again:

2Ti 2:17 And their word will eat as doth a canker {will eat at the body of Christ as "a disease by which any part of the body suffering from inflammation becomes so corrupted that, unless a remedy be seasonably applied, the evil continually spreads, attacks other parts, and at last eats away the bones"}: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

So heresies like those invented by Gerald Haug through his so-called "Orthomillennialism", can be dismissed out of hand since one would have to believe that the dire warning contained in that verse was only operative for about 3-5 years, and then for the next nearly 2,000 years Christians were supposed to believe the exact opposite of what that dire warning in scripture says.

Let alone that heretics like Haug stand outside of nearly 2,000 years of universal Christian core doctrine, whether Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist, evangelical so-called "non-denominational" denominations, and every other part of the body of Christ you can name.

He defends his heresy by setting up the straw man of John Darby's easily exposed 19th century pre-millennial futurist heresy to use as his punching bag, but it isn't difficult to see why he doesn't also compare it, to the church tradition of the historicist approach to bible prophecy.

Let alone why Haug uses a heretical 1995 pop-bible to make his case.
I even found a guy who actually thinks it's funny to suggest: "I now wittily refer to it as the “ultimate heretic bible” because it contains the signatures of some of the most notable or shall I say, most notorious preterist’s in America."
http://preterism.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-preterist-heretic-bible

PeteWaldo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Act 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.