Author Topic: Head Coverings on Women  (Read 1395 times)

PeteWaldo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Head Coverings on Women
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »
As if this forum weren't quiet enough already, because while the content may challenge what is being taught in the pop-church it is nonetheless supportable with scripture, perhaps this subject will prove to be a stake in its heart. At least based on reactions to this subject I have found in other forums.

On of the reasons brother Skolfield allowed "Demons in the Church" to go out of print is because he didn't want this - unnecessarily and unreasonably divisive - subject to distract from his main mission of helping the church understand Islam in bible prophecy. I hope folks reading this thread are able to treat the two subjects separately.

In preface, for the first 1900 years of church history, women wore head coverings. Many Roman Catholic and Orthodox women still do. I grew up in a Presbyterian church (though a futurist one) in Detroit, and remember that in the 1950s women almost universally wore head coverings. Some little feathered discs with veils on the front, and probably "pill boxes" etc. (my memory is foggy as to style though style is of course irrelevant).
Paul begins the 11th chapter with:

1Cr 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also [am] of Christ. 2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered [them] to you.

1Cr 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with [her] head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. 9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on [her] head because of the angels.

NKJV For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.
NLT For this reason, and because the angels are watching, a woman should wear a covering on her head to show she is under authority.*
Footnote:
* Greek should have an authority on her head.
NIV For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.
ESV That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.*
Footnote:
* Or messengers, that is, people sent to observe and report
NASB Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.
RSV That is why a woman ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels.
ASV for this cause ought the woman to have [a sign of] authority on her head, because of the angels.
YLT because of this the woman ought to have [a token of] authority upon the head, because of the messengers;
DBY Therefore ought the woman to have authority on her head, on account of the angels.
WEB For this cause ought the woman to have power on [her] head, because of the angels.
HNV For this cause the woman ought to have authority on her head, because of the angels.

(Greek/English Interlinear (tr) NT) 1 Corinthians 11:10 [g] dia [e] <1223> {BECAUSE OF} [g] touto [e] <5124> {THIS} [g] ofeilei [e] <3784> (5719) {OUGHT} [g] h [e] <3588> {THE} [g] gunh [e] <1135> {WOMAN} [g] exousian [e] <1849> {AUTHORITY} [g] ecein [e] <2192> (5721) {TO HAVE} [g] epi [e] <1909> {ON} [g] thj [e] <3588> {THE} [g] kefalhj [e] <2776> {HEAD,} [g] dia [e] <1223> {ON ACCOUNT OF} [g] touj [e] <3588> {THE} [g] aggelouj [e] <32> {ANGELS.}

This isn't old covenant law, but a new covenant church ordinance, which ordinances Paul praised the church in Corinth for keeping. And the church did keep it for over 1900 years.

So my question to all churches (besides Mennonites and Amish and others whose women wear head coverings) including Calvary Chapel is, what licensed the 20th century church to uniquely and almost universally cast aside head coverings on women over the last 50 years? (other than the women's lib movement!)

I have been surprised by the animus and vitriol this question seems to solicit (at least in a less Berean spirited environment). Also surprised when reading about how women are treated by their peers in church, when they choose to conform to this ordinance.
However I understand that head coverings are still acceptable, and even recommended wear, for attendance in Roman Catholic and I presume Orthodox churches.
http://www.catholicplanet.com/women/headcovering.htm

Here's a related chapter from "Demons in the Church" by Ellis Skolfield
http://www.israelinbibleprophecy.com/who_says_legalistic.htm