Author Topic: Premillennialism  (Read 2260 times)

PeteWaldo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Premillennialism
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:32:50 AM »
Opinion on premillennialism comes from interpretation of the figurative language of John's prophetic vision in the 20th chapter of the book of Revelation. I included this subject in the futurist section because as far as I know, all futurists are premillennial. I'll kick it off with the first paragraph from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premillennialism

"Premillennialism in Christian eschatology is the belief that Jesus Christ will literally and physically return to the earth and take the righteous back to heaven with him. This return is referred to as the Rapture, and rather than Jesus descending to touch the Earth, the righteous will be raised to meet Him in the air. Bible passages such as 1 Thes 4:16-17 & Rev 20:1-6 are cited as evidence. The doctrine is called premillennialism because it holds that Jesus' physical return to earth will occur prior to the inauguration of the millennium. It is distinct from the other forms of Christian eschatology such as postmillennialism or amillennialism, which view the millennial rule as occurring either before the second coming, or as being figurative and non-temporal. For the last century the belief has been common in Christian fundamentalism."

PeteWaldo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Re: Premillennialism
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »
One would think that a single verse would provide the death knell to premillennialism. This is not interpretation of the figurative language of a prophetic dream or vision, but a literal verse from a literal passage of scripture, that we should honor before setting about interpreting the figurative language of dreams and visions in prophecy:

Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mark 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Luke 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Did Jesus usher in his kingdom in the first century or was that a false prophecy? Is it even appropriate for a Christian to believe in a literal physical kingdom on earth?

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Rev 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

I'll remain humbly honored as my brother John's companion in the kingdom of Jesus Christ.