Author Topic: We welcome suggestions for additional categories and boards  (Read 13224 times)

Peter

• Administrator
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
We welcome suggestions for additional categories and boards
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »
Please make additional suggestions for boards or categories in the General Discussion category.

shiverleaf15

• View Profile
Re: We welcome suggestions for additional categories and boards
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:03:14 PM »
Well i see individual sections on various Restorationist movements, as well as Catholicism, Orthodox Christianity, Judaism, and most extensively, Islam (but that's understandable since it's the point of this forum).

I ask that sections be made on Protestant movements. That is, Lutherans, Calvinists, Anglicans, Baptists, Methodists, Presbytereans, etc.

Otherwise i will have to say, that this forum is a little Protestant-inclined and that shows bias from my point of view, sorry to say.

What makes Protestants correct? How do they know their interpretations are all correct? If they feel so much like the true "Christians", then why so many different denominations? All these would be wonderful topics to discuss in a Protestanism section. They deserve their own topic in my opinion :)

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »
Well i see individual sections on various Restorationist movements, as well as Catholicism, Orthodox Christianity, .....
I should probably have lumped those two into one group but thought the Orthodox would object even though they reluctantly admit to sharing the same pope.
...... Judaism, and most extensively, Islam (but that's understandable since it's the point of this forum).

I ask that sections be made on Protestant movements. That is, Lutherans, Calvinists, Anglicans, Baptists, Methodists, Presbytereans, etc.
I am afraid our forum already has too many sections. Adding a couple thousand more categories for denominations would be a bit unwieldy.
Otherwise i will have to say, that this forum is a little Protestant-inclined and that shows bias from my point of view, sorry to say.
It might appear that way because - at least resisting and I - are not Roman Catholics, but we don't tend to go easy on protestant denominations either. For example
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=14.0
What makes Protestants correct?
Because we all believe we are saved through the shed blood of Jesus Christ, just like the Roman Catholics and Orthodox do. We are all correct.
How do they know their interpretations are all correct?
"They" obviously do not, and particularly interpretations of the figurative language of dreams and visions in prophecy, since a 1900 year gulf divides the partial preterist and futurist eschatologies, that were popularized in the 20th century church. Almost all denominations and orthodoxy are either partial preterist or futurist. One exception may be Reformed Baptist which as I remember might hold the continuous-historic view. Perhaps there are more.
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=14.0
If they feel so much like the true "Christians", then why so many different denominations? All these would be wonderful topics to discuss in a Protestanism section. They deserve their own topic in my opinion :)
I guess you didn't notice that the second largest general subject - after our number one effort to expose Muslims to the Gospel and to an honest view of Mohammed's religion - is eschatology.
If you want to discuss a specific denomination I recommend that you visit a forum of folks of that denomination who might be the most familiar with it.

yonah33

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 06:37:53 AM »
Very interesting site. What about perhaps a signature panel, one showing active topics and specific Scriptures.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:44:15 AM by yonah33 »

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:46:54 AM »
Very interesting site. What about perhaps a signature panel and one showing active topics.

Not sure what you mean by "signature panel". The real Islam slayer (besides reading the Gospel which is what brings 99% of them to Christ) is the "History of Islam" category. I have been rehabbing one of my web pages to present it as up front as I can, for skimmers.
http://www.islamchristianforum.com/mecca.htm

"active topics" is a relative term in this forum. Folks in the church can see the soft underbelly of the eschatology they hold exposed, yet they are reluctant to come and defend it.
Every now and then a Muslim joins us to copy and paste from Deedat and answeringchristianity, but are incapable of defending the indefensible content that they themselves copy and pasted into here. They cannot engage in an exchange.
So things are generally pretty lonely around here in terms of participants. However we usually have a nice little group of onlookers.

But if you noticed the bug at the bottom of the forum it shows 150 guests. These are the remnant "zombies" of the latest cyber terror attack that was lodged against our forum.
Generally we have about 5 to 15 viewers.

If you go to post in a topic and see a warning that it hasn't been replied to for 300 days or something like that, don't hesitate to treat it like any other topic.

Also the search function works great! For the whole forum, as well as in individual categories, threads and even posts.

yonah33

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:00:53 AM »
Hi Peter - here's a site that uses what I'm referring to. http://bibleforum.reslight.net

And I just noticed - you have a signature panel with a quote from Wm Blake. How do you do that?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:07:56 AM by yonah33 »

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:17:49 AM »
Hi Peter - here's a site that uses what I'm referring to. http://bibleforum.reslight.net

And I just noticed - you have a signature panel with a quote from Wm Blake. How do you do that?

I can put it in for you. We had a bit of abuse by folks registering and putting advertising links in their signature and leaving. Also when the signature space is taken up by a large image, it reduces the number of posts and replies per page and makes the chats a little more disjointed. You can PM me what you want and I will see if I can accommodate.

Regarding the list of recent topics you can hit that link at the bottom of the forum. I believe it may be a little better if read-only participants viewing the forum go to a category that interests them, rather than be distracted by the latest discussed topic. Then the most recent topics are the nearest to the top. (There is, however a large number of sticky topics in the "Islam" forum and regular topics are relegated to page 2.)
The reason so many are sticky is that these are the subjects that I have found Muslims engaging in the most over the last couple of years.

yonah33

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 07:48:39 AM »
Oh, now I see that link at the bottom - ty

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 07:52:33 AM »
Oh, now I see that link at the bottom - ty

Also the icon at the left of each category should be darkened if there is a subject that has a new post in it.
Also there is a link at the top for "unread posts since your last visit".

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 09:59:42 AM »
yonah33, your subsequent posts that were on this thread, regarding forum software performance during attack, can be found here
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=1776.msg7313#msg7313

yonah33

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »
Glad to be back.

Cephyr13

• ecclesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 01:54:32 PM »
Please make additional suggestions for boards or categories in the General Discussion category.

There is a very strange problem I have. Maybe only IE 8 does it. When I try to type posts here, and I've filled the message window up with text, it starts to jump as I type more text which requires the box to scroll down more. It's really annoying. I have had to start typing my posts in Word and then paste into here to reply. Any idea what causes this or how to fix it?

- Brian

resistingrexmundi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »

There is a very strange problem I have. Maybe only IE 8 does it. When I try to type posts here, and I've filled the message window up with text, it starts to jump as I type more text which requires the box to scroll down more. It's really annoying. I have had to start typing my posts in Word and then paste into here to reply. Any idea what causes this or how to fix it?

- Brian

I have had the same problem myself...and no...I do the same as you. Maybe someone else might have an answer.
Doth that man love his Lord who would be willing to see Jesus wearing a crown of thorns, while for himself he craves a chaplet of laurel? Shall Jesus ascend to his throne by the cross, and do we expect to be carried there on the shoulders of applauding crowds? Charles H. Spurgeon

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 07:58:43 AM »

- Brian

I have had the same problem myself...and no...I do the same as you. Maybe someone else might have an answer.

Resisting I thought it fixed itself for you when you got high speed internet resisting. The best place to ask this question is at the smf forum here
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=29.0

resistingrexmundi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 08:37:17 AM »

- Brian

Resisting I thought it fixed itself for you when you got high speed internet resisting. The best place to ask this question is at the smf forum here

Oddly enough it did for a while and occasionally it will still work but it still jumps more often than not. I just got used to making do so I didn't bring it back up.

- Brian

Doth that man love his Lord who would be willing to see Jesus wearing a crown of thorns, while for himself he craves a chaplet of laurel? Shall Jesus ascend to his throne by the cross, and do we expect to be carried there on the shoulders of applauding crowds? Charles H. Spurgeon

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »
Did you ever see Cypher's post on jumping text here?
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=1859.0

I think I'll move it to this section.

shorttribber

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »
shorttribber here,
Just joined....I've studied prophecy quite a lot and came across this site because i seemed to be understanding the dome of the rock to be at the very least a part of the AOD....

Ok .......suggestion........is there a question and answer section I haven't seen?

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 10:17:31 AM »
shorttribber here,
Just joined....I've studied prophecy quite a lot and came across this site because i seemed to be understanding the dome of the rock to be at the very least a part of the AOD....

Ok .......suggestion........is there a question and answer section I haven't seen?

Hi shorttribber and welcome to the forum. :)
Q&A are usually posted in the General section, and then if they relate to a specific topic that is covered elsewhere I move it to that section, or sometimes even attach it to the relevant thread. If you try the search function you may find the subject already exists and you can start with that thread. Here's a couple threads that address the AoD.
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=553.0
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=552.0
http://islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=415.0
Again, welcome to the forum!