Author Topic: Has there been a prophet since John?  (Read 2269 times)

PeteWaldo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Has there been a prophet since John?
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:37:22 AM »
I was reviewing an email exchange with a self-proclaimed prophet, and noticed a portion of a verse today that exmilitary had included, of which I had not noticed the portions that were not bolded until today.
http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=3601.msg15198#msg15198

Luke 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

We seem to have a division in a timeline described. Until John and since John. John penned the book of Revelation which is the latest dated prophecy to be included in the New Testament. While Pentecostals and AoG, left and right, fancy themselves to be prophets, some I have encountered even believing they are individually expected to possess all of the gifts listed in Corinthians, has there actually been a prophet since John? Muslims, Mormons, Millerites, SDA, Christian Science, and it seems every other Pentecostal and Assemblies of God member would say yes. Does this verse suggest otherwise?

ExMilitary

• ecclesia
  • In the last days perilous times shall come
    • View Profile
Re: Has there been a prophet since John?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 05:32:37 PM »
John penned the book of Revelation

John the Apostle penned the book of Revelation; however, John the Baptist is the person Jesus is referring to.  John the Baptist was beheaded even prior to Jesus' crucifixion.  Now, on to the question.

has there actually been a prophet since John? Muslims, Mormons, Millerites, SDA, Christian Science, and it seems every other Pentecostal and Assemblies of God member would say yes. Does this verse suggest otherwise?

Provided you are speaking of John the Baptist: In the sense of "thus saith the LORD"?  Yes, see Acts 11:27-30; 21:7-14

27 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch. 28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Cæsar. 29 Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judæa: 30 which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

7 And when we had finished our course from Tyre, we came to Ptolemais, and saluted the brethren, and abode with them one day. 8 And the next day we that were of Paul’s company departed, and came unto Cæsarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. 9 And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy. 10 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judæa a certain prophet, named Agabus. 11 And when he was come unto us, he took Paul’s girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. 12 And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem. 13 Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. 14 And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.

But if you are speaking of either John (especially the one who penned Revelation), then the reference in the book so penned by him could point to people after John Revelation 11:1-6

And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein. 2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months. 3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth. 5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. 6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

Scripture also warns us that we should not despise prophecy.  Test all things.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-22

16 Rejoice evermore. 17 Pray without ceasing. 18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 19 Quench not the Spirit. 20 Despise not prophesyings. 21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

That being said, I haven't seen or known of any prophets in the traditional (thinking Ezekiel, Elijah, John) sense.  But I do believe, and have heard, prophetic utterances that are real (and somewhat specific).  It is because of these personal experiences that I have abandoned the idea of being a cessationist.  100% of the time, the extra-biblical ones I have personally heard that came to pass were directed toward individuals, not the church at large... and they always seem to fall into the areas of rebuking, reproving, and exhorting.

Any that were directed to the church at large that came to pass, weren't anything that wasn't already mentioned in scripture or based in godly principles (i.e. if we stay the godly course as a congregation, blessings will happen).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:15:53 AM by ExMilitary »