Author Topic: "that man of sin" - (copy of that from futurist forum)  (Read 3576 times)

Peter

• Administrator
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
"that man of sin" - (copy of that from futurist forum)
« on: June 07, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »
For a free printable tract of this subject, with folding instructions, please click on this link. http://www.beholdthebeast.com/free_bible_tracts.htm#tract_c2
To go directly to the PDF click here. http://www.beholdthebeast.com/c2.pdf
For a printable PDF of "The Rebuilt Temple" with folding instructions click here. http://www.beholdthebeast.com/free_bible_tracts.htm#tract_c5
To go directly to the PDF click here. http://www.beholdthebeast.com/c5.pdf

John 2:19  Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?  21  But he spake of the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

So who is "that man of sin"?  "The" 'Antichrist"?  Nero?  Mohammed?

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition  

"and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition" (link to this spot)

It would seem that "that man of sin" and "the son of perdition" are interchangeable, but who are they?  The above verse is the only verse in Scripture that discusses that "man of sin".  We will consider the only other verse that uses the term "son of perdition" later.

2 Thessalonians 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
2 Thessalonians 2:5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

"so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God"

Can we get to know that "man of sin", the "son of perdition", better by finding out more about where he "sitteth" - that is - in the temple of God?  Let's try the KJV search tool from the Blue Letter Bible to see what we can find out.  Following are all of the verses that include the term "temple of God":

Matthew 21:12 And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,

This first verse is a reference to the literal temple that Jesus prophesied would be torn down - every stone - as it indeed was.

Matthew 26:61  And said, This [fellow] said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

The temple of God referenced in the verse above is Jesus' body.  John 2:21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

The building again in three days is further confirmed by the following:  

1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are.
2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them]; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

So we learn that the bodies of regenerate believers are the temple of God. The above three verses are not open to interpretation.  Scripture offers no other option than our bodies as the location of the temple of God, through Christ's death and resurrection.  Nowhere does the Lord redefine the term.

2 Thessalonians 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

In our target verse above it would seem we are left with no choice but to understand that the "man of sin" may be revealed in the body of a regenerate believer.  

The figurative language in the following two verses from John's vision in Revelation are sometimes interpreted to suggest otherwise, but to do so would nullify the truth of the verses that clearly peg the location of the "temple of God" that are not open to interpretation.  This would suggest that Jesus' perfect and finished work on the Cross was incomplete.

Revelation 11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

Consider an interpretation for Revelation 11:1-2, consistent within the traditional continuous-historic framework of prophecy on this link.

Revelation 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

We can see that the final use of this term - in Revelation 11:19 - locates the temple of God of that verse in the heavenlies which, would be consistent with Ezekiel's account.

That's it.  The above are all the verses that use the term "temple of God".  

Some claim that Ezekiel's book calls for a future rebuilt temple apparently because of the extent of detail.  But within the context of that description we find:  Ezekiel 43:7  And he said unto me, Son of man, the place of my throne, and the place of the soles of my feet, where I will dwell in the midst of the children of Israel for ever, and my holy name, shall the house of Israel no more defile, [neither] they, nor their kings, by their whoredom, nor by the carcases of their kings in their high places.
Are we really to expect God to live in an earthly temple, built by the hands of men, for ever?

We have assurance that He will not, in the New Testament:  Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

Hebrews 8:1  Now of the things which we have spoken [this is] the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; 2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.

How could any man "desolate" any future rebuilt temple, that would necessarily already be desolate by God's own design?

As unimaginable as it may seem, some that readily recognize a new covenant and that the old waxeth away, and know where the temple of God is, are actually clamoring for a rebuilt temple where Jews would resume animal sacrifice.  This would be a restoration of the Old Covenant and an affront to Jesus Christ and His perfect blood atonement for our sins (the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world).  It would also fly in the face of a boatload of scripture.  Here are a few examples:        

Hebrews 8:13 In that he saith, A new [covenant], he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old [is] ready to vanish away.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Mark 12:33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love [his] neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

Matthew and Mark tell us to look to Daniel the prophet for help in understanding of the abomination that maketh desolate - not to Paul.  We  learn from Matthew and Mark that we should expect it to "stand in the holy place" not "sitteth". We learn from Luke that it is Jerusalem that is desolated.

To believe that the temple of God resides anywhere other than in the bodies of regenerate believers is a product of doctrine (Held by a minority of the church - primarily over the last century.).  Jesus warned the Pharisees of such:
Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

But how can the "man of sin" sitteth in a regenerate individual?

Well we all know that there are none righteous and we are all sinners. So we know that Satan can have influence in Christian's lives.  Even though we are guided to know what's right, sometimes temptation is irristable.  We are not likely to find Satan at an atheist convention or in Hollywood since he already has them in his back pocket.  So shouldn't we be on the lookout for Satan to be hanging around the Church, doing everything he can, to cart off Jesus' potential goods?  Satan is the author of unsound doctrine.  The "overcommeth"ing in the second and third chapters of Revelation is about overcoming unsound doctrine, not Satan - except as he is the author of it.

Peter

• Administrator
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Re: "that man of sin" - (copy of that from futurist forum)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:42:48 AM »
Copied and pasted after putting in a forum. Will come back and rework it when I get a chance.

Sorry I just noticed your post Coconut21. I believe that passage may refer to two things. Regarding the first, could it be that many folks may be so distracted by expecting a future individual to assume the role of "that man of sin", that he may already be set up in the "temple of God" without folks even noticing.

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition

Since the only other reference to the "son of perdition" is made to Judas, unless we are expecting a resurrection of Judas to arrive as a dastardly villain in the future, then maybe we're supposed to consider something more like his disobedience, and particularly betrayal, which is a pretty notable feature of Judas.

He "sitteth in the temple of God". Where is that? Jesus built His temple in three days - just as He said He could - through His crucifixion, death and resurrection. WE ARE the temple of God - the corporate body of Christ (and individually, temples of the holy Spirit). Should we even have to wonder, then, where we are to look for "that man of sin" to "sitteth"?

What is meant by "all that is called God"?
This might give us an idea of it:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Consider the example of Episcopal church bishops that voted in a majority to ordain a homosexual as bishop. Didn't they, while sitting in the temple of God, exalt themselves above all that is called God?

Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

And betray the very Word of God they feign to follow?

1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

What about Todd Bentley? His "healing" ministry attracted literally thousands of people every single night of the week for months (though he could not provide documentation for a single healing). It was aired continuously on GodTV every night, and people came from all over the world to get the "anointing" (receiving unclean spirits?), to take back to anoint their flocks with, also by laying on of hands. Scripture tells us to let elderS lay hands on the sick. One reason may be so that a single individual wouldn't be tempted to take credit for healing someone, when the credit belongs to Christ alone. Todd Bentley even claimed he healed an old woman by "kicking her in the face" with his "biker boot".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9Ay4QAtW8

Bentley was just another in this whole "movement" of folks jabbering on in fake tongues (and worse those of unclean spirits), barking like dogs while crawling on all fours, being "drunk in the spirit", the laughing revival, the "Toronto blessing", including a whole host of unclean spirits posing as the holy Spirit that were invited into the body of Christ by money grubbing entertainers.
Consider what appears to be the Kundalini spirit in the church today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBpw2oQrvMM

What about the "Chrislam" movement with unwary Christians seeking middle ground with a religion that professes the exact opposite of the whole subject of the Gospel, whose worshipers are commanded to conquer and subjugate all mankind, to denying the Son of God and rejecting His shed blood to follow Muhammad alone.

It could be the beginning of this slide happened about a half century ago when popularization of the "sinners prayer" began to take the place of preaching repentance. The ecumenical movement and religious pluralism growing, as the "church" sank deeper into this great "falling away" or apostasy, coming on full bore as we entered what I believe to be what Daniel's prophecy calls the "time of the end".

Is it possible that the enemy could have put a doctrine in the church, that causes folks to focus on a single individual in the future - that is not even expected to come until after the church has been whisked off the earth - in order to prevent so much of the body of Christ from recognizing "that man of sin" may already be working full-on right here in the temple of God - today?
Here's a thread that considers some terms individually, that are usually all lumped together, as if they had the same meaning and were interchangeable.