Author Topic: Daniel's 70 weeks Predicts Crucifixion of Messiah  (Read 1924 times)

ps49

• ecclesia
    • View Profile
Daniel's 70 weeks Predicts Crucifixion of Messiah
« on: November 23, 2015, 10:22:44 AM »
I read this article with much interest.

http://www.beholdthebeast.com/mathematical_precision_of_prophecy.htm

However, there is an alternative interpretation of Daniel's 70 weeks prophecy pertaining to the coming of Messiah.

Dan 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

There seems to be four possible commandments for the rebuilding of Jerusalem mentioned in the bible:-

1 - Ezra 1:1-14, 1st year of Cyrus, dated to 537 B.C.
2 - Ezra 6:1-12, 2nd year of Darius dated to 520 B.C.
3 - Ezra 7:1-27, 7th year of Artaxerxes dated to 457 B.C.
4 - Neh 2:1-8, 20th year of Artaxerxes dated to 444 B.C.

Using the 3rd one works quite well too, as I'll show.

Dan 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

The 69 weeks:-

7 x (7 + 62) =  483 years

-457 + 483 = 26 AD

Add 1 year to correct for 'year zero' = 27 AD

27 AD, the fifteen year of Tiberius Caesar. John The Baptist prepares to way for Messiah (Luke 3:1) and Baptises Him with water, marking the beginning of the 70th week (Luke 3:21)

The 70 weeks:-

7 x (7 + 62 + 1) =  490 years

-457 + 490 = 33 AD

Add 1 year to correct for 'year zero' = 34 AD

Noting that the prophecy doesn't say that Messiah is cut off immediately after the 69 weeks (27 AD), but suggests some time afterwards. Within the confines of the prophecy as a whole, The Crucifixion or "cut off" lies somewhere between 27 and 34 AD.

Dan 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Christians understand that The Sacrifice of Christ is the final sacrifice which God accepts from Israel. The Crucifixion negates the need for the Temple oblations.

In "the midst" of the week could be construed as half-way, ie 30 AD.

Although the Temple sacrifices do continue beyond 30 AD and all the way to the 70 AD destruction, it is interesting to note anti-Christian commentry found in the Talmud. Therein, Jews record the fact that the miraculous phenonema normally associated with the Yom-Kippur sacrifices ceased to work around 40 years prior to the destruction of the Temple in AD 70, ie around AD 30. Their interpretation being that God no longer accepts their oblations. Whether that must coincide with the Crucifixion is debatable.

In reality the words "in the midst of the week" could mean anytime from 27 to 34 AD. On the other hand, the words "he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week" seems to suggest a time towards the end of the 70 th week, ie 34 AD. I just thought it would be interesting to throw in the Talmud writings for discussion too.

Best regards,
Paul.

PeteWaldo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Re: Daniel's 70 weeks Predicts Crucifixion of Messiah
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 03:33:53 PM »
Here's another quite technical rendering of the math, that first interested me in the day-year language of prophecy - "Daniel's Messiah in the Critic's Den".
http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=556.0

And from Ellis Skolfield's study:
http://www.beholdthebeast.com/daniel_s_70th_week.htm

Noting that the prophecy doesn't say that Messiah is cut off immediately after the 69 weeks (27 AD), but suggests some time afterwards.

Not by my understanding: Dan 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off.....

It doesn't say to me: "after threescore and two weeks" plus change "shall Messiah be cut off....."

ExMilitary

• ecclesia
  • In the last days perilous times shall come
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 11:50:02 PM »
Also, Keep in mind that Jesus was crucified on (during) or around a full moon - Passover.  If you roll back the astronomical maps (easy to do these days), you can narrow it down pretty well.

ps49

• ecclesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:32:56 AM »
Thanks both. I've actually abandoned this line of enquiry now. Two main reasons:-

1) Dan 9:27 is clearly not describing Messiah (I misunderstood) and
2) The decree given in Neh 2:1-8 is the best of the four in that it is the most clear.

Therefore I'm lately inclined to view the 69 weeks more like this:

0.985626 x 483 prophetic years = 476.06 solar years.
445 BC + 476.06 solar years = AD 32

Although not an acceptable year for the crucifixion, it is a year when the ministry of Jesus was in full swing. His preaching was well advanced by AD 32 and He would have been quite well known amongst the people. Or to put it another way "here is the Messiah!" It naturally follows that the "cut off" or crucifixion must go after His earthly ministry.