Author Topic: Behold the Beast 'The False Prophet' and the Jewish Calendar  (Read 3825 times)

ExMilitary

• ecclesia
  • In the last days perilous times shall come
    • View Profile
Behold the Beast 'The False Prophet' and the Jewish Calendar
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:49:28 PM »
I've read the article entitled "The False Prophet" ( http://www.beholdthebeast.com/69_weeks.htm ) and had a question about the philosophy used in counting years.  Specifically, the article mentions, in chapter 3, that the Jewish/Levitical year was 360 days long, and then makes calculations based on a flat 360 day long year (equating it to 0.9857 of a solar year).  There is a footnote that says that the Jewish calendar (in order to compensate for the solar year) would insert an extra 7 months every 19 years.

My question:  Why does the author assume that prophecy is counted in 360 day years without taking into account the extra 7 months per 19 years?  Is the 360 day interpretation of prophetic years an established hermeneutic principle (base on scripture)?

The author, in the foot note, uses a lot of vague terminology that leaves room for much error... words like "probably" and "generally".  The calendar given Moses by God mandates that the first month starts around harvest time.  If the extra months aren't inserted, there is eventually no harvest because the year (based on 360 days) would eventually begin in the dead of winter.

My point: The Jewish calendar was a combination of Lunar/Solar, and the 69 weeks of years (taking into account 7 adjustments every 19 years) would work out to a solar year being (almost) the exact length of a Jewish year (and vice-versa).

So again, another question (somewhat repeating above), is the author proposing the 360 day interpretation of prophetic years as a theory or a scripturally supportable hermeneutic?

Peter

• Administrator
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Re: Behold the Beast 'The False Prophet' and the Jewish Calendar
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »
Hi ex and welcome to the forum! :)

I've read the article entitled "The False Prophet" ( http://www.beholdthebeast.com/69_weeks.htm ) .......

I hope you realize that's just one chapter out of the book. The table of contents can be accessed at this link:
http://www.beholdthebeast.com/contents_tfp.htm
It's best to start at the beginning as it is a brick by brick empirical argument within the traditional continuous-historic context. One of only three contexts of Christian eschatology (not counting 19th century Idealism).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_eschatology#Approaches_to_prophetic_interpretation
.......and had a question about the philosophy used in counting years.  Specifically, the article mentions, in chapter 3, that the Jewish/Levitical year was 360 days long, and then makes calculations based on a flat 360 day long year (equating it to 0.9857 of a solar year).  There is a footnote that says that the Jewish calendar (in order to compensate for the solar year) would insert an extra 7 months every 19 years.

Indeed! If no adjusts had been made to the 360 day calendar winter would have switched with summer about every 35 years!

My question:  Why does the author assume that prophecy is counted in 360 day years without taking into account the extra 7 months per 19 years?  Is the 360 day interpretation of prophetic years an established hermeneutic principle (base on scripture)?

Yes you can Google it best as "prophetic calendar" which is the way most folks refer to it.
More on it here:
http://www.beholdthebeast.com/mathematical_precision_of_prophecy.htm#360_day_year

And on the day-year language of those great men of God of the reformation more here:
http://www.beholdthebeast.com/mathematical_precision_of_prophecy.htm#day_year

The author, in the foot note, uses a lot of vague terminology that leaves room for much error... words like "probably" and "generally".

Most bible scholars worth their salt are smart enough to understand that God did not grant them an exclusive franchise on truth. Skolfield is humble enough to indicate to his readers that he doesn't have all the answers through language like that. There is however broad and conflicting opinion within the church on most non-essential doctrine like interpretation of the figurative language of dreams and visions in prophecy. Think of "generally" as meaning something like "most sound conservative bible scholars but not unsaved liberal wingnuts of the Ivy League colleges".

If you haven't read it yet, you are about to embark on a journey of Daniel and Revelation within the same TRADITIONAL continuous-historic context that the church and reformers held throughout most of the Christian era, but abandoned during the last century in favor of the pop Roman Jesuit eschatologies of futurism and partial-preterism that have blinded the church to the false prophet Muhammad and his Islamic kingdom. I am fully confident that your journey through this eschatology will bless your studies as richly as it has mine.
The calendar given Moses by God mandates that the first month starts around harvest time.  If the extra months aren't inserted, there is eventually no harvest because the year (based on 360 days) would eventually begin in the dead of winter.

My point: The Jewish calendar was a combination of Lunar/Solar, and the 69 weeks of years (taking into account 7 adjustments every 19 years) would work out to a solar year being (almost) the exact length of a Jewish year (and vice-versa).

So again, another question (somewhat repeating above), is the author proposing the 360 day interpretation of prophetic years as a theory or a scripturally supportable hermeneutic?
Yes and he's not alone if you do that search of "prophetic calendar". It's used because it works out - repeatedly.
If you are a technical kind of guy here's a very technical take on that 69 "weeks" problem of Daniel that you might enjoy:
DANIEL'S MESSIAH IN THE CRITIC'S DEN by Steve Hinrichs
http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=556.0

Again, welcome to the forum!

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 03:05:01 PM »
Hi ex, you've been on my mind a little. I should have emphasized the point about understanding the whole context through which one understands Old and New Testament prophecy first.
There are only 4 approaches to Christian eschatology, and for the mostpart they are not compatible with each other, except futurists and those of us that hold the traditional continuous-historic view can both recognize the restoration of Jews to their land as being of the Lord. We can only pity and pray for those whose doctrine doesn't allow them to, in light of the fruit of that tree that rejects that the return of Jews to their land is of the Lord.

Then working from a recognition of the entire broad context through which we understand prophecy into increasing detail while preserving literal words, verses and passages that are not open to interpretation.
http://www.beholdthebeast.com/traditional_framework.htm

Otherwise we wind up risking loosing the very Gospel itself like these poor fellows who use their (conspicuously unsound) interpretation, of Old Testament scripture, to nullify literal language in the New Testament that is not open to interpretation.

ExMilitary

• ecclesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:16:16 PM »
Hi ex and welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you for the warm greeting!

I've read the article entitled "The False Prophet" ( http://www.beholdthebeast.com/69_weeks.htm ) ......
I hope you realize that's just one chapter out of the book. The table of contents can be accessed at this link: http://www.beholdthebeast.com/contents_tfp.htm

Yes, I did, and yes, I read the whole book.

... I am fully confident that your journey through this eschatology will bless your studies as richly as it has mine.

Your confidence is well founded, and already proven.

The calendar given Moses by God mandates that the first month starts around harvest time.  If the extra months aren't inserted, there is eventually no harvest because the year (based on 360 days) would eventually begin in the dead of winter.

Yes and he's not alone if you do that search of "prophetic calendar". It's used because it works out - repeatedly.
If you are a technical kind of guy here's a very technical take on that 69 "weeks" problem of Daniel that you might enjoy:
DANIEL'S MESSIAH IN THE CRITIC'S DEN by Steve Hinrichs
http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=556.0

Thank you.  I appreciate the discussion and every link you've provided.

Again, welcome to the forum!

And thank you for taking your time.  God bless.

ExMilitary

• ecclesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
Hi ex, you've been on my mind a little. I should have emphasized the point about understanding the whole context through which one understands Old and New Testament prophecy first.
There are only 4 approaches to Christian eschatology, and for the mostpart they are not compatible with each other, except futurists and those of us that hold the traditional continuous-historic view can both recognize the restoration of Jews to their land as being of the Lord. We can only pity and pray for those whose doctrine doesn't allow them to, in light of the fruit of that tree that rejects that the return of Jews to their land is of the Lord.

Preterism - From what I understand (http://www.preterist.org/whatispreterism.asp), full preterism and partial preterism seem to hold varying degrees of dominion theology.  It is difficult to understand how anyone can hold these view in light of the world's present spiritual condition, the alliances being formed in the Middle East/Russia/China regarding Syria (as compared with Ezekiel), and the restoration of the Jews to the promised land.

I believe these views to be dangerous, and that they may actually be a portion of the vector that allows the beast's image to be spiritually set up in God's temple (which is the church).  I see dominion theology as a precursor to 'emerging church' theology that seems to already be compromising the gospel for the sake of Islam (and worldliness in general).  "Chrislam" could be a precursor spiritual fulfillment of the beast's image within the temple of "God's church".  Knowing, though that when the image is being erected in 'mainstream Christianity', the remnant will flee the receiving of the false prophet into the temple (the 'true church' will not receive this compromise).

Will there be a literal third temple?  I can't answer that, yet.  It seems that everything is in place to make that happen, though.  And, under the right set of circumstances, could easily happen.  It wouldn't be too far fetched to see God's forceful protection of Israel from surrounding aggressors during a weaponized conflict result in the rebuilding of a temple on the mount.  I can only imagine the amount of confident zeal the Jews will have when it comes to pass.

Another issue I have with preterism (as stated in the referenced web site) is the idea that historicists and futurists can't consistently be "constructively involved in making the world a better place for the long-term".  That statement is wholly absurd.

Anyway, I'm wandering all over the map... speculating.

Then working from a recognition of the entire broad context through which we understand prophecy into increasing detail while preserving literal words, verses and passages that are not open to interpretation.

I will check that article out.  Thanks again for your responses.

PS: Maybe this response should be moved to the preterism board.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:46:58 PM by ExMilitary »

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 07:30:56 AM »

Preterism - From what I understand (http://www.preterist.org/whatispreterism.asp), full preterism and partial preterism seem to hold varying degrees of dominion theology.  It is difficult to understand how anyone can hold these view in light of the world's present spiritual condition, the alliances being formed in the Middle East/Russia/China regarding Syria (as compared with Ezekiel), and the restoration of the Jews to the promised land.
The fact that they must believe that the return of Jews to the land YHWH gave to the seed of Jacob through an everlasting covenant, was some sort of an historical accident, or worse - of Satan is really quite stunning. Israel from total desolation at the beginning of the 19th century, to being one of the world's leading economic powerhouses and the geopolitical focus of the whole world. These folks will try to make arguments through proof texting scripture, which might have been understandable, prior to the actual physical reality of the return of Jews to their land. It is a waste of time to trade scripture with folks so hopelessly blinded, so the way I decided might be the most effective to close our exchange was by pointing out who their fellow-fruit are in the tree that rejects that the return of Jews to their land is of the Lord, as in this thread in the preterist section of another forum. I also deconstructed the primary touchstones of preterism for them here and here and their dating of Revelation here. On anti-zionism here however it got moved to politics, and also I noticed that the preterists seemed to focus their argument on that term, which was invented toward the end of the 19th century, which helps them conveniently ignore the whole history of the return of Jews to their land which began in the early 19th century long before the advent of the term "Zionism" or the recognized "Zionist" movement. Also the abomination of desolation geared to preterists.

I believe these views to be dangerous, ......

As so aptly demonstrated through the fruit. http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=2795.0

...... and that they may actually be a portion of the vector that allows the beast's image to be spiritually set up in God's temple (which is the church).

In light of their antisemitism (many often not even trying to thinly veil it), and willingness to continue 2500 years of persecution of Jews, I sometimes wonder if this isn't at least a part of the "synagogue of Satan".

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 08:04:51 AM »
I see dominion theology as a precursor to 'emerging church' theology that seems to already be compromising the gospel for the sake of Islam (and worldliness in general).  "Chrislam" could be a precursor spiritual fulfillment of the beast's image within the temple of "God's church".  Knowing, though that when the image .......

Jihad is the pinnacle of Islamic worship. I believe what is meant is that the second Islamic Jihad is the image of the first Islamic Jihad. The second jihad emerged from the Islamic beast that was wounded to death in Tours France during the first jihad, but then healed by western wealth transfer in development, production and purchase of oil. I believe this may also have to do with the power and authority that Satan gave to the Islamic kingdom beast.

...... is being erected in 'mainstream Christianity', the remnant will flee the receiving of the false prophet into the temple (the 'true church' will not receive this compromise).

Will there be a literal third temple?  I can't answer that, yet.  It seems that everything is in place to make that happen, though.  And, under the right set of circumstances, could easily happen.

It could have been possible when Jews took back the temple mount after the 6 day war. However since then they turned over control to the antichrists in one of the false peace deals and it isn't likely now.
Nor do I from a Christian perspective, believe there could ever be a purpose for a rebuilt temple - that it could not be of the Lord - since Jesus built out temple in three days, just as He indicated He would.
http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=103.0

I do understand why some Jews that may remain sovereignly blinded to the Gospel could have the interest. Though I don't believe it's a Christian's job to cheer them on since we know where the temple of God has been ever since the first century.

This thought struck me just in the last few days. Preterists and others complain that Jews were restored to their land in unbelief, and they are correct regarding perhaps even a majority of secular Jews there. Though scripture may indicate that they would be restored to their land in unbelief not for their sakes but for the sake of His holy name (as resistingrexmundi pointed out in this thread).
http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=3218.0

Could it be that God returned unconverted faithful Jews, and even secular Jews, to their land specifically because they are blind to the Gospel and thus hold a more old covenant stance of "an eye for an eye", and thus have more of a heart for physically defending Israeli Jews, Christians and non-Muslim Arabs, than Christians who are called to turn the other cheek?
That being said, it wouldn't surprise me that if, instead of dropping ordinance from the air we instead leafleted all Muslim countries with the Gospel of John and maybe Mark, Islam could collapse in a day. Being exmilitary did you learn about the privately funded bibles that were being given to Afghans as host presents (written in their dialects), who invited our military into their homes? The military found out and collected them all up and burned them. Yet it's the very took that Jesus gave us with which to engage His enemies!
http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?topic=212.0

It wouldn't be too far fetched to see God's forceful protection of Israel from surrounding aggressors during a weaponized conflict result in the rebuilding of a temple on the mount.  I can only imagine the amount of confident zeal the Jews will have when it comes to pass.

Another issue I have with preterism (as stated in the referenced web site) is the idea that historicists and futurists can't consistently be "constructively involved in making the world a better place for the long-term".  That statement is wholly absurd.

Particularly from the lips of antisemites who seem to somehow miss the two primary commandments given to Christians on which all the law rests.

Anyway, I'm wandering all over the map... speculating.

I will check that article out.  Thanks again for your responses.

PS: Maybe this response should be moved to the preterism board.

It's OK here for the time being. You may have noticed that a few additional boards came into view after you logged in as a member. Not that long ago I made several boards visible to members only, like the ones that explore specific denominations so that it wouldn't discourage Christians from reading the boards that I left public like the Islam related boards, this one and most others.