Author Topic: Using this forum  (Read 11266 times)

Peter

• Administrator
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Using this forum
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:27:24 AM »
To read this forum on a phone, copy and paste the URL into this window at Google and click "go" then "go to page".

There is a forum "HELP" section here at the tab next to the "HOME" section or click here http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?action=help

All are welcome to post links to items in this forum, or to any of the related websites, into any other forums or chat venues.

This thread is for questions about how to use this forum. No question is unimportant because you are not alone in having it.

The software used in this forum is free. This may be why it may be a little more difficult to use than that in other forums.

As always, if text lines are too long and hard to read, you can hit the middle button in the upper right of your browser, and then scrunch the screen in until the lines are the length you can read easily.

Links

In a subsequent version of our software, the www. was added to our address. When you click on old forum links, within old forum threads, it will take you to the correct page but will make it look like you are logged out. All you have to do is add the www. to the address (URL), and then push "enter", to fix it. I am going to add the www. to some old threads, but the task of fixing them all is monumental, as thousands of links are involved.

When you want to respond to a post you can push the "reply" tab and type in your response.

Quoting

You can practice with the next panel down of you like and I will erase your attempts after you are done.

1) Simply push the "quote" button in the upper right and post after the last [ /quote] tag at the very end.

2) If you want to quote something like a single paragraph of another poster, push the quote button and remove everything after the first tag on the page, up to the paragraph you want to quote, then remove everything after what you want to quote, down to the last tag. There should only be the top and bottom tags when you are done.
Then type your reply after the last tag that will look something like this: [ /quote]

3) If you wish to make multiple breaks, as individual quotes, within a single post, there may be an easier way, but I do it like this:

I push the "quote" button and then copy the tag in the upper left of the window. Like this one:

[ quote author=Peter link=topic=39.msg48#msg48 date=1208359644]

Then I paste it to the right of the last [ /quote] tag that appears as the last item on the page.
Then anywhere I want to break the post that I am quoting, I copy the pair of tags that look like this:

[ /quote][ quote author=Peter link=topic=39.msg48#msg48 date=1208359644]

Paste it where I want to break the text, and then type between the tags like this:
[ /quote]Enter text here.[ quote author=Peter link=topic=39.msg48#msg48 date=1208359644]

When you are done with the quoting and replying, remove the tag that you originally copy and pasted next to the last [ /quote] tag and push the "save" button.

Referencing posts

If you want to reference an individual post with a link, click on the post title, and a unique URL will appear in the window at the top of your browser.

Creating links

For example, if you wrote the sentence:   

Here is a website with the Gospel of John containing some bolded verses for Muslims. 

and you wanted to create a link to this website using the words -   Gospel of John   -

You first highlight the words you want to form the link, using your right mouse button, and then click on the little icon above that has a globe pictured.

After your click on the globe the highlighting looks like this:   
-  Here is a website with the [ url]Gospel of John[/url ] containing some bolded verses for Muslims.  -

Next you put an equal sign at the first "url" here:  [ url=]Gospel of John[/url ]
and then copy and paste the address or URL of the website you want to link to, like this: 
[ url=http://www.islamandthetruth.com/]Gospel of John[/url ]

So your project then looks like this:

Here is a website with the [ url=http://www.islamandthetruth.com/]Gospel of John[/url ] containing some bolded verses for Muslims.

Push the "save" button at the bottom and you're done.

Here is the above, without the spaces I included to make the tags inactive:

Here is a website with the Gospel of John containing some bolded verses for Muslims.

Troubleshooting

If you are using Windows IE I recommend that you download Firefox.

But if you use Windows IE and want to continue to, and have a "jumping text" problem, Cephyr13 went and found the fix. Quoting

"Finally! Figured out how to fix the jumping text-box when your post gets lengthy (for IE8). Click on compatibility view (it's the broken piece of paper at the right end of the address bar, right beside the refresh arrows and the red X for stopping a site from loading, just to the left of the search box. Click on that so it's lit up light-blue and that fixes the problem. Hope this helps!

Also, here's a thread discussing it if an administrator of a site is having a problem with it, I think:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=376321.0 "

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
Re: Using this forum
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
This is the practice panel. Look in the upper right of this post and press the word "Quote".
When the next screen appears type anything (like "OK"), after ALL the characters that you see on that page, including brackets and such.

Voila. The panel that you quoted should come out with a darker blue background with a smaller font.
Whatever you typed after the last [/quote ] tag, will be in brighter background with slightly larger font.
If it looks like that then congratulations.

Next try breaking the post in the middle. I do it by the instructions in the post above. Push the "quote" word in the upper right again, and when your new panel appears, "copy" the bracketed tag in the upper left.
Then "paste" it after the last [/quote ] tag at the bottom.
Then try breaking this post into 2 or 3 pieces by copy and pasting the pair of tags you put together and type in between them.

Then remove the tag that you copy and pasted from the upper left but leave the remaining final [/quote ] tag.
Then if you like you can type after that tag as well.
Push the "Save" button below.

Practice it now.

Mujaheed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »
This is the practice panel. Look in the upper right of this post and press the word "Quote".
When the next screen appears type anything (like "OK"), after ALL the characters that you see on that page, including brackets and such.

Voila. The panel that you quoted should come out with a darker blue background with a smaller font.
Whatever you typed after the last [/quote ] tag, will be in brighter background with slightly larger font.

Next try breaking the post in the middle. I do it by the instructions in the post above. Push the "quote" word in the upper right again, and when your new panel appears, "copy" the bracketed tag in the upper left.
Then try breaking this post into 2 or 3 pieces by copy and pasting the pair of tags you put together and type in between them.

Then remove the tag that you copy and pasted from the upper left but leave the remaining final [/quote ] tag.

Practice it now. I'll remove your attempts after you're done.
testing quote

resistingrexmundi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
Try again.

like this.

Practice it now. I'll remove your attempts after you're done.
testing quote

then type after you see the [/ quote] tag
Doth that man love his Lord who would be willing to see Jesus wearing a crown of thorns, while for himself he craves a chaplet of laurel? Shall Jesus ascend to his throne by the cross, and do we expect to be carried there on the shoulders of applauding crowds? Charles H. Spurgeon

MTLbobiras

• ecclesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:41:30 AM »

Mujaheed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:04 AM »
Muj please quote this post and write after the quote.

Mujaheed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »

this is a test

Mujaheed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 06:43:26 AM »

this is a test

This is another

Mujaheed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 06:44:05 AM »

Peter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • False Prophet Muhammad
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 06:45:35 AM »
OK now quote this post, and copy the first tag at the top of the page, and paste it after the last tag you see on the page. You don't need to write anything.

If you don't know how to copy and paste, you hold your left mouse button down as you brush it over the tag, and it will highlight it in blue. Then click on your right mouse button and select "copy", then after the last tag press your left mouse button to move the blinking cursor there, and then click your right mouse button and select "paste".

Daniel M

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:14 AM »

Practice it now.

ABCDE

Daniel M

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 07:41:30 AM »
To read this forum on a phone, copy and paste the URL into this window at Google and click "go" then "go to page".

There is a forum "HELP" section here at the tab next to the "HOME" section or click here http://www.islamchristianforum.com/index.php?action=help

All are welcome to post links to items in this forum, or to any of the related websites, into any other forums or chat venues.

This thread is for questions about how to use this forum. No question is unimportant because you are not alone in having it.

The software used in this forum is free. This may be why it may be a little more difficult to use than that in other forums.

As always, if text lines are too long and hard to read, you can hit the middle button in the upper right of your browser, and then scrunch the screen in until the lines are the length you can read easily.

Links

In a subsequent version of our software, the www. was added to our address. When you click on old forum links, within old forum threads, it will take you to the correct page but will make it look like you are logged out. All you have to do is add the www. to the address (URL), and then push "enter", to fix it. I am going to add the www. to some old threads, but the task of fixing them all is monumental, as thousands of links are involved.

When you want to respond to a post you can push the "reply" tab and type in your response.

Quoting

You can practice with the next panel down of you like and I will erase your attempts after you are done.

Simply push the "quote" button in the upper right and post after the last [ /quote] tag at the very end.

If you wish to make multiple breaks, as individual quotes, in a single post, there may be an easier way, but I do it like this:

I push the "quote" button and then copy the tag in the upper left of the window. Like this one:

Then I paste it to the right of the last [ /quote] tag that appears as the last item on the page.
Then anywhere I want to break the post that I am quoting, I copy the pair of tags that look like this:

Paste it where I want to break the text, and then type between the tags like this:
[ /quote]Enter text here.[ quote author=Peter link=topic=39.msg48#msg48 date=1208359644]

When you are done with the quoting and replying, remove the tag that you originally copy and pasted next to the last [ /quote] tag and push the "save" button.

Referencing posts

If you want to reference an individual post with a link, click on the post title, and a unique URL will appear in the window at the top of your browser.

Creating links

and you wanted to create a link to this website using the words -   Gospel of John   -

You first highlight the words you want to form the link, using your right mouse button, and then click on the little icon above that has a globe pictured.

-  Here is a website with the [ url]Gospel of John[/url ] containing some bolded verses for Muslims.  -

Next you put an equal sign at the first "url" here:  [ url=]Gospel of John[/url ]
and then copy and paste the address or URL of the website you want to link to, like this: 

Here is a website with the [ url=http://www.islamandthetruth.com/]Gospel of John[/url ] containing some bolded verses for Muslims.

Troubleshooting

But if you use Windows IE and want to continue to, and have a "jumping text" problem, Cephyr13 went and found the fix. Quoting

"Finally! Figured out how to fix the jumping text-box when your post gets lengthy (for IE8). Click on compatibility view (it's the broken piece of paper at the right end of the address bar, right beside the refresh arrows and the red X for stopping a site from loading, just to the left of the search box. Click on that so it's lit up light-blue and that fixes the problem. Hope this helps!

Also, here's a thread discussing it if an administrator of a site is having a problem with it, I think:

Daniel M

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 07:42:47 AM »

AND SO AND SO !!!!!!!

Links

Quoting

Simply push the "quote" button in the upper right and post after the last [ /quote] tag at the very end.

If you wish to make multiple breaks, as individual quotes, in a single post, there may be an easier way, but I do it like this:

Referencing posts

Creating links

Troubleshooting